A Complete List of Jim Yuill’s Publications
Jim’s primary papers are on-line here: https://jimyuill.com/cs-research/comp-sec-papers/
● Book: 1
● Journal papers: 2
● Conference papers and tutorials: 7
● Conference and workshop presentations: 7
● PhD dissertation and research reports: 3
● Amos, B, J. Yuill, P. Linder. Hands-On RTOS with Microcontrollers: Building real-time embedded systems using FreeRTOS, STM32 MCUs, and SEGGER debug tools, second edition, Packt, pending publication (as of 10/2023)
● Yuill, J., D. Denning, F. Feer. “Using Deception to Hide Things from Hackers : Processes, Principles, and Techniques”, Journal of Information Warfare, 5(3):26-40, November, 2006.
● Yuill, J., F. Wu, J. Settle, F. Gong, R. Forno, M. Huang and J. Asbery. “Intrusion-Detection for Incident-Response : using a military battlefield-intelligence process”, Computer Networks, Elsevier, 34(4): 671-697, October 2000.
Conference papers and tutorials
● Yuill, J., M. Nystrom. “Developing Standardized Processes for Incident Response: Challenges and Opportunities”, Department of Defense Cyber Crime Conference 2012, Atlanta, GA, January 2012.
● Yuill, J., M. Nystrom. “Developing Standardized Processes for Incident Response: Challenges and Opportunities”, tutorial and research presentation, accepted for the upcoming 18th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2011), Chicago, IL, October 2011.
● Yuill, J., D. Denning, F. Feer. “Psychological Vulnerabilities to Deception, for Use in Computer Security”, DoD Cyber Crime Conference 2007, St. Louis, MO, January 2007.
● Yuill, J., F. Feer. “Designing Deception Operations for Computer Security: Processes, Principles, and Techniques”, tutorial and research presentation, 12th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS 2005), Alexandria, VA, November 2005.
● Yuill, J., F. Feer, D. Denning. “Designing Deception Operations for Computer Network Defense”, DoD Cyber Crime Conference 2005, Palm Harbor, FL, January 2005.
● Yuill, J., M. Zappe, D. Denning, and F. Feer. “Honeyfiles: Deceptive Files for Intrusion Detection”, Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Workshop on Information Assurance, West Point, NY, June 2004.
● Yuill, J., S. Wu, F. Gong, M. Huang. “Intrusion Detection for an On-Going Attack”, Proceedings of the 1999 International Symposium on Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection (RAID ’99), Purdue, IN, September 1999.
Conference and workshop presentations
● Yuill, J. Invited speaker for conference panel-discussion, “Cyber Intersection with Deception”. InfowarCon 2011: Maneuvering in Cyberspace and IO, Linthicum Heights, MD, September 2011.
● Yuill, J., M. Vouk. “Choosing System Security-Engineering (SSE) Practices for Cloud Computing”, 3rd International Conference of the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 3), Research Triangle Park, NC, October 2009.
● Yuill, J., M. Vouk. “Common Criteria: A Survey of its Problems and Criticisms”, DoD Cyber Crime Conference 2009, St. Louis, MO, January 2009.
● Yuill, J., F. Feer. “Deception: Attacking Hackers’ Decision-Making Processes”, Workshop on the Active Response Continuum to Computer Network Attacks, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, March 2005. (invited speaker)
● Yuill, J. “Applying Military-Intelligence Techniques to Incident-Response”, Rubi-Con 2002 (hacker conference), Detroit, MI, April 2002.
● Yuill, J. “Intrusion-Detection During Incident-Response, Using a Military Battlefield-Intelligence Process”, 13th Annual FIRST Conference on Computer Security Incident Handling, Toulouse, France, June 2001.
● Yuill, J. “Understanding Hacker Behavior, Using Principles from Economics”, Austrian Scholars Conference 2000 (an economics conference), Ludwig von Mises Institute, Auburn, AL, March 2000.
Dissertation and research reports
● Yuill, J. “Defensive Computer-Security Deception Operations: Processes, Principles and Techniques”, Ph.D. Thesis, North Carolina State University, 2006.
● Yuill, J., F. Feer, D. Denning, B. Bell. “Deception for Computer Security Defense”, research-project final-report for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, January 2004.
● Yuill, J. “Choosing System Security-Engineering Practices : evaluation criteria and a selected survey”, NCSU research report, 2008.