WordWebNav: Installation, System-Requirements, and Compatibility
WordWebNav (WWN) requires: Windows, Python 3.7 (or higher), and Microsoft Word
The appendix has additional details, including specification of the apps WWN has been tested with.
Tutorials for common technical tasks are available on the Internet, e.g., tutorials on zip.
Download the WWN package:
● WWN is distributed on GitHub at: https://github.com/jimyuill/word-web-nav
● Click on the green Code button, then click to clone or to download a zip-file.
● The simplest technique is to download a zip-file. Then unzip the file, and move the directory somewhere that is easy to find, e.g., under the Documents folder.
Install and configure Python:
● Install Python 3.7 or higher
● Then, install the required Python libraries. At a Windows' command prompt:
> cd <to WWN repo directory>
> pip install -r requirements.txt
● (This step can be done later, e.g., after using WWN, and viewing its web-pages from the local file-system.)
● These files are in the repo's directory "assets".
● Copy the files to the web-server, in an appropriate directory for such files, e.g., assets.
Running WWN requires: Windows, Python 3.7 (or higher), and Microsoft Word
WWN might work with Python 3 versions below 3.7. However, in our testing, the required library yamllint did not install properly in Python 3.6.
WWN has been tested with:
● Windows 10
● Python 3.7.0 and 3.9.6
● Microsoft Word:
o Software: Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14131.20278) 64-bit
o Word .doc* files in these formats: Word 2003, Word 2010, Word 2013, Word 15
WWN has been tested on an IIS web-server.
WWN web-pages are intended for use with desktop browsers, and mobile devices with a relatively large screen. (Smart-phone screens will likely be too small.)
For a WWN web-page to display properly, the browser must be compatible with the jQuery and jQuery UI libraries. The major browsers are compatible. The libraries' browser-compatibility is specified here:
WWN web-pages have been tested on these desktop browsers:
● Windows 10
o Firefox 87.0
o IE version 2004, build 19041
o Edge version 89.0.774.54
o Chrome version 89.0.4389.82
o Firefox 86.0.1
● Mac OS (the testing service only provided a screen-shot of the loaded web-page)
o Firefox 82.0
o Chrome 87.0
Copyright (c) 2021-present by Jim Yuill, under the license at https://github.com/jimyuill/word-web-nav